Thursday, April 3, 2014

Narbeleth interview


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the project since the recording of the new album?

NARBELETH, as a solo project, is a very quiet band actually. The last show I did was son june 2013 and since then, I have been recording the new album from time to time, as I have full time job and study at university at nights, so I have to choose special and determined moments to cofus only on NARBELETH, because it deserves and demands from me 100% energy and atention. Also I´ve been arranging everything for the show at Under the Black Sun.

2.You have a new album coming out this spring, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical direction of the new recording and also how does it differ from your previous demo and ep?

NARBELETH is Black Metal, nothing more, nothing less, black metal in its traditional way, so that´s what you will get in wevery release. Now, the main difference from my previous works is the sound, as now I have more experience in recording, and have better tools. BUT this not means that NARBELET will have modern, clinical sound, no; NARBELETH will remain rooted to raw old shcool Black Metal sound. Of course, you can find differences in composition, because I don´t like to repeat formulas, I just compose what I feel when I play my guitar, and that depends a lot on my psicological state and how things goes around my world. Also you can find new elements, although brief, on this album, as the clean vocals on “Land of The Heathen”or the clean guitars on “Nihilistic Propaganda”. Are new resources that add dimension to the music, as, for instance, the synth I used on “Shall Rise Again”, from my first demo “Dark Primitive Cult”, that never used on other recordings from that.


3.Can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the new release?

My lyrics are about my life, how I see this world, and how I live in it. Also I write about about antireligion, misanthropy,  Black Metal, and how I´m proud of this art and have it as important part of my life.

4.In the studio, you work all solo but have a line up for live shows, are you open to working with a full band in the studio or do you chose to remain solo?

No, NARBELETH is my vision alone, my feelings and my own spirit made music, so I will never work in studio composin for this project with other persons. I had two colaborations on the band from individuals I see as my brothers. Haitre, from the swiss band NANSIS did guest vocals on “Raw Hatred”, from my previous album Diabolus Incarnatus, and King Abraxas, my live guitarist, made the lyrics for “Land of The Heathen”.






5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?

The best show to the date was at Brutal Fest here in havana, in 2012. Was a great show that I and the other guys enjoyed a lot. About my stage performance, well, I let that description to the audience.

6.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?

Yes! I´m preparing to perform at Under the Black Sun next july, that´s my plan for now and means a lot for me to pe part of this mighty and legendary festival. Is the first time NARBELETH plays abroad. Tour? Well, hope to do tour some day, but nothing planned yet.

7.On the new recording you have an Urgehal cover, what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their songs?

URGEHAL is a great band, always covered with the dust of underground Black Metal and I am a huge follower of them. Once I knew about T. Nefas death, I thought in doing my tribute to his work, so I decided to do Nyx and maybe put it on a tribute album, but then, with the offer of Folter Records to release the new album, I came up with the idea of add it on the CD. Is my tribute to Nefas, to URGEHAL. HAIL!

8.The new album is coming  out on Folter Records, how would you compare working with this label to Intifernal Records and Serpent's Eye Records which released your previous recordings/

I´ve worked with four labels previously, Intifernal and Serpent´s Eye released in tape my works, and Le Crepuscule du Soir and Metal venom Promotions, in CD. I´m happy with the result so far and they all are very honest persons. Now, working with Folter Records is quite different. Is a very experienced label and have released many recordings from respected bands. His work is complete and professional and I appreciate very much all the help and their attitude. I´m very proud to work with this label.


9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

Bigger that what I always expected. I´ve received emails and letters from all over the world supporting my music. Is very nice to see that there are people that understand your message. Whith the signing on Folter Records this feedback has grown and that´s great, and I´ve seen people that are looking forward to see NARBELETH´s performance at Under the Black Sun, which is something amazing for me.






10.Where do you see this project heading into musically during the future?

NARBELETh will remain in the same direction. Playing uncimpromising Black Metal; that is and will be the path to follow. Hope that this show in Germany be the first of more concerts abroad in the next years.



11.What are some bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays/

My music is influenced mainly by Scandinavian Black Metal like BATHORY, DARKTHRONE, ARCKANUM, and also JUDAS ISCARIOT, TORMENTOR... all these great bands. I still listening these bands almost daily, and have always been also into thrash, death, heavy, and other genres on Metal. Nothing of new core metal or nu, or gothic stuffs... that sucks. These days I have in my player, specifically CRAFT, KOLDBRANN, WARBRINGER, DARKTHRONE (always), KULT, DEMONICAL, NORTHERN PLAGUE, KAMPFAR, SKOGEN, THYRFING, SODOM, DARKENED NOCTURN SLAUGHTERCULT, ULVER (Bergtatt... and Kveldssanger), and some early music…


12.How would you describe your views on Satanism or Anti Christianity?

I´m not satanic and I´m not only antichristian, I am against all religions, that keep men away from the freedom, the freedom of thinking, the freedom of action. I believe in the will, the will of power that every man have inside and choose to use it, or not. I believe in the strenght of man to be his own god, the master of his fate.

13.Are there any other black metal bands from your home country of Cuba, that you would recommend?

Yes they are... but few. I can recommend ANCESTOR, a great Black Metal band from Havana, now relocated to Miami, USA, with great thrash metal influences... Also I recommend UNLIGHT DOMAIN and BLACKULT, great bands.


14.What are some of your non musical interests?

I work with cultural/historical heritage. I´m interested in Archeology, Astronomy and History. I read about a lot of topics, science in general, technics, occultism, and I´m a big fan of russian combat aircrafts. Among other things...


15.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts/

Thanks for the space on your webzine. Thanks to all NARBELETH´s followers in Cuba and the world. See you in July at Under the Black Sun festival, in the woods outside Berlin!
Support Black Metal with real attitude!!!! HAIL!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment