Friday, August 12, 2016

Malphas Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

  Malphas is a black metal project from Canton, MI. I do all the instruments and vocals by myself. Other than that, you should listen to the EP and judge for yourself. Hopefully you’ll like it. 

2.So far this year you have released both a demo and an ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both of the recordings and also how do they differ from each other?

  While the demo was released in 2016, all of the songs except one were recorded last year. It has a simpler sound and most of the songs were not recorded the same way was the EP and because of that, they suffer from lower quality. When I started working on the EP I wanted to work with a two guitar sound, before it was only one. Having two guitars allows for a more dynamic and diverse sound as well as the opportunity for
harmonies to help make it sound bigger and more complete. I think overall the EP has better songwriting and better recording quality. I would have been embarrassed to release the demo songs as anything but a demo, but I am incredibly proud of how  the EP turned out. 

3.Some of your lyrics deal with demonology and the occult, how would you describe your views on the dark arts?

  I am a luciferian. I believe in being your own god and controlling your own life. Working towards enlightenment and being one with the morning star. I believe that you should take responsibility for your own actions and work to make yourself the best you can be. Try to educate yourself to the best of your ability and listen to what science tells us. Anyone who rejects science is on the wrong side of history. I reject the idea of a traditional god and I do my best to express my disgust for the evils of religion. There is no good deed that a religious person can do that a non-religious person would not be able to do. But inversely, there are plenty of evil deeds done in the name of religion and sanctioned by holy books that a non-religious person would never ever dream of doing.

4.You also have some lyrics that deal with fantasy and Warhammer 40k, can  you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?

  I’ve been an avid Warhammer 40k fan since I was in middle school. I absolutely love the game and the lore. For those who don’t know, it is a tabletop sci-fi game where you build and paint your own army of soldiers to fight against other people’s armies. The lore is so expansive and diverse, it creates a setting where you are able to craft your own narratives within it. That makes it a great lyrical subject. I am also a big fan of fantasy literature and games. I love stories about dragons and wizards and orcs and such. I always
have been.

5.I know that the name 'Malphas' is a Goetic demon, what was it that interest you about this deity that made you name the band after him?

  I first came across the name in an encyclopedia of demon names. I loved the sound of it from the beginning and once I read about him I knew I needed it to be my band name. I love that he is a great prince and he commands legions of demons. I also think its interesting that he builds fortifications. I love the idea of a great demon commanding his legions to construct mighty structures of dark glory. Plus once I started playing around with logo ideas I really liked what I came up with and how I was able to make it legible but still contain an inverted cross and a pentagram.

6.Currently the project is all solo but you have said on your facebook that you are looking for whole band, have you had any luck in finding other musicians?

  I haven’t really been actively looking. I like the freedom I get from doing everything by myself. I’ve had to deal with some awful people in past bands. I’ve met incredible guitar players who would rather party, do drugs, get into drama, and stroke their egos than write good music. People who care more about playing a show with a boring band than put



7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

  So far I’ve heard only positive reviews. I had a friend give me some pointers on things I can do to improve in the future, but he still enjoyed it. I’ve had songs on the radio and reviews on metal blogs and everyone seems to like the old school sound of it. I’ve been invited to do interviews and a live performance, so I must have done something right.

8.What is going on with your other musical project these days?

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

  I plan on continuing with Malphas. Currently I’m looking into getting some better gear so I can put out an album with better quality. I’m also practicing guitar and working on writing new songs. I would definitely be open to working with other musicians and even being part of another band. I just want to make music that I enjoy  work on bettering myself as a player.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

  Well my favorite band of all time is Inquisition. If you haven’t listened to them you need to. They’re by far the best black metal band of all time. Some other favorites are Dark Fortress, Darkspace, Dantalion, Istapp, Lord Belial, Gorgoroth, Immortal, etc. I recently discovered Imperium Dekadenz from Germany and they’re becoming one of my favorites. As far as non black metal goes, Inferi is one of my all time favorites.Amiensus,
Be’lakor, Ne Obliviscaris, and Oak Pantheon are also some that I’ve been listening to a ton lately. 

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

  Well you already know that I’m big into Warhammer 40k. I also play a ton of video games. Assassin’s Creed games are among my favorites. I’m also a huge Transformers fan. Not the awful Michael Bay movies, but the original G1 transformers. I have a large collection that is constantly growing. I usually spend most of my time with my incredibly girlfriend going on fun dates and just hanging out. She’s always supportive
of my music and I wouldn’t have been able to finish the EP without her support. 

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Not really, I just want to thank you for this opportunity. I can’t believe people want to interview me. I really hope you like my music, and if you haven’t heard it, check it out and let me know what you think. I always respond to people’s messages on my Facebook page.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Official website
ReverbNation

No comments:

Post a Comment