1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
1.Hi, we are Framheim, an atmospheric black metal duo from Italy.
2.How would you describe your musical sound?
2. The kind of music we play is an atmospheric yet raw form of black metal, which is inspired by a certain 90s style. Other than that, we use synths to soften the sound and to add an ambient touch, which is logical to us regarding our lyrical themes.
3.You refer to your music as 'polar black metal', can you tell us a little bit more about this term?
3. "Polar black metal" is a term which basically refers to our lyrical themes. As I said before, we play a style of atmospheric black metal with a massive use of synths, aiming to create a feeling of "musical snowstorm". Our goal is to conjure the imagery of the Poles through our music!
4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
4. As I said before, our imagery is mainly based on the North and the South Poles. More specifically, our goal is to bring some of the black metal stereotypes (cold and winter) to a next level. We tried to put these themes in an historical context, talking about polar explorations and the achievements of the explorers as specifically as possible (the song "San Giuseppe Due" is a great example). But, beyond that, there is also space for other themes, like descriptions of polar landscapes and the feelings of desolation, annihilation and solitude you can get at extremely cold temperatures.
5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Framheim'?
5. The band name is connected to our concept too. Indeed, "Framheim" was the name of the campsite where the Norwegian explorer Amundsen had his base during his South Pole expedition. The name is literally "House of the Fram" in Norwegian, Fram was the ship that Amundsen and his companions used to reach Antarctica.
6.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you chose to remain a duo?
6. We'll remain a duo. Framheim will always be a studio project and we reached a great balance with just two members. I don't think there will be changes in the future.
7.Currently the band is signed to 'Xenoglossy Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
7. This is an interesting question, because Xenoglossy Productions is the label we run together with other two guys. It is more of a collective than an actual label, we use it to self-produce the works we create within our circle. We have 5-6 releases as of now and we've just started releasing our stuff on vinyl CD. We have many more releases on the go and I hope to achieve great results with our label. I'll leave some links below, you can find other interesting releases on there:
8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of atmospheric black metal?
8. We are obviously a very young band and we didn't promote ourselves that much, so we don't have a lot of feedback as of now, but I must say that who listened to us loved what we did and appreciated our brave and innovative themes. By the way, I'd like to mention that the song "Lu fredd" on our first demo, is completely sung in the Abruzzo dialect. I wish to thank Stilgar (member of Batrakos and Veia, and former member of Arvensvarthe) for writing the lyrics.
9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
9. I don't know about that, as of now we're trying to make good music, we'll see how far we can get.
10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. The very first works by Blut Aus Nord, Paysage d'Hiver, and some depressive black metal projects like Gris and Hypothermia for the guitar sound. Actually, we are listening to a lot of different music right now, but for Framheim these are our main reference points as regards composition. We'll try to incorporate new influences and try new solutions on our next work, right away.
11.What are some of your non musical interests?
11. Some of our interests are connected to the lyrical themes of Framheim, like history and geography. Also, we are both interested in philosophy and current world events.
12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12. We wish to make music as long as we want to. We thank you for giving us space and we invite everyone reading this interview to listen to us and to share our music. Let yourselves be conquered by our Polar Black Metal!